A coconut milk based green curry filled with vegetables and tender pieces of chicken that makes for the best warming meal!
As the weather gets colder, I begin to crave lots of hearty meals that warm you up from the inside out, and nothing does that better than this curry! It’s one of my favorite dinners because it is incredibly simple to make, yet it packs so much flavor! It can also be made in big batches ahead of time and then kept in the refrigerator or freezer, so all you have to do is heat it and eat!
After prepping the vegetables and chicken, the curry comes together in a matter of minutes. You simply sauté the veggies in a large pot, add the curry paste, then add the chicken, coconut milk, and a bit of water and let it simmer until everything is warmed and cooked through!
Using store-bought Thai green curry paste makes this recipe a breeze, but the depth of flavor really makes it feel like something special! I use the brand Thai Kitchen, but I recommend any Thai green curry paste with high quality ingredients (no additives, sugars, etc.)!
Nutritionally, this recipe is incredibly nourishing. With protein from chicken, fiber and nutrients from carrots and bell peppers, and healthy fats (including brain boosting MCTs) from coconut milk, it’s just as satisfying as it is delicious!
I love serving the curry with either lightly sautéed cauliflower rice (pictured here) or brown rice. Both are equally delicious, so go with whatever you’re craving! Brown rice is great if you’re looking for something a little heartier, while the cauliflower rice is perfect for a lighter option. Either way, the rice soaks up the delicious flavor of the curry coconut milk, giving it the most incredible taste.
Whether you’re looking for a crowd pleasing dinner or a quick and easy weeknight meal, this curry is your best friend! I’m so excited to be sharing this recipe, and if you try it out please let me know what you think by leaving a comment below or tagging me on Instagram!
- 2 organic chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tbsp Thai green curry paste (see above for recommendations)
- 5-10 large leaves of fresh basil, julienned
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- optional: rice to serve, fresh cilantro and sliced red chili to garnish
- Preheat a large pot over just below medium heat with the coconut oil. Once heated, add the onion and garlic and lightly sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the green curry paste, carrots, and bell pepper and sauté until lightly softened, about another 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed chicken, and stir everything so the curry paste is evenly distributed, then add the coconut milk, water, and tamari. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover to let simmer until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is cooked, about 10 minutes.
- When everything is cooked through, stir in the basil. If the curry is too thin, let simmer with the top off for a few minutes to thicken.
- Serve over rice of choice and garnish with cilantro and red chili if desired.