If you’re feeling run down, tired, or in need of some delicious nourishment, this bowl is for you. Filled with some of my favorite ingredients, this has been my go to meal lately that I can’t seem to stop making! Soft sweet potato wedges with crispy edges, black beans with hints of garlic and onion, steamed broccoli, and avocado, all combine to make the most delicious lunch or dinner.
The beauty of this bowl is in its simplicity. It’s made with few ingredients and the cooking is minimal, so all of the natural deliciousness of each ingredient really shines. It’s a great balance of protein, complex carbohydrates, greens, and healthy fats, so it is the best meal when you just want something super nourishing but also easy and comforting.
These roasted sweet potato wedges are probably my favorite way to eat sweet potato! Something about the size of the thick wedges roasted in coconut oil and sea salt works so well, so they’re perfectly soft and sweet on the inside but slightly crispy and salty on the outside. The black beans have so much flavor and are such a yummy and quick thing to make anytime you’re in need of some protein. The steamed broccoli adds tons of vitamins, fiber, and pairs so well with the garlicky beans and sweet potato. Finally, the avocado balances all of the flavors and adds a delicious creaminess to the bowl. This bowl will both taste amazing and make you feel amazing. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 small or 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 15 oz can of black beans
- ½ white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ½-1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes, then cut into large wedges, about 1-2 inches thick, and place on a baking tray.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small pan or the microwave, then drizzle over the sweet potato wedges with a generous sprinkling of sea salt. Toss until the wedges are evenly coated.
- Position each wedge so the skin side is down, then place the tray in the oven for about 40 minutes flipping the wedges once halfway through.
- When the wedges have about 15 minutes left, put the black beans with the liquid from the can in a saucepan over medium-low heat with the crushed garlic and a generous pinch of salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion to the pan and sauté until browned and translucent.
- While the onions cook, let the beans heat and come to a boil and stir occasionally. They should begin to thicken slightly as the liquid evaporates.
- While the beans and onion cook, boil water in a steamer and steam the broccoli until al dente, but easy to pierce with a fork, about 5 minutes.
- Once the onions are cooked through add them to the saucepan with the beans and stir together. Allow the beans to boil until there is only a little liquid left.
- When everything is ready, place the roasted sweet potato, steamed broccoli, and warmed beans in a bowl and add the avocado.