Root vegetables roasted until sweet and tender, paired with crunchy mulberries and a tangy horseradish dressing!
It’s no secret I love root vegetables. I use them in everything from smoothies to stew! This veggie mix was inspired by an incredible seasonal salad from True Food Kitchen that I look forward to every fall and winter. The combination of the sweet and tender vegetables with the tangy dressing is to die for, and toasted mulberries add the best sweetness and texture!
I love that this dish is so easy to make, but so much more exciting than just plain roasted vegetables. It’s rare that a week goes by without me roasting sweet potatoes (I’m that girl with orange hands due to too much beta carotene) so this is such a great variation to have!
It’s perfect to serve alongside some protein and green veggies, and I love adding it into my tupperware meals as well. The veggies keep well in the fridge, either with or without the dressing for up to 5 days.
I use a mixture of sweet potato, butternut squash, parsnips, and carrots, although any root vegetables of your choice would work. The sweetness from the squash and potatoes works so well with the earthy flavor of the parsnips and carrots, and using a mix of veggies ensures a variety of nutrients!
What really put this dish over the edge are the toasted mulberries. Until trying them in a salad at True Food, I had never thought of toasting mulberries. Let me tell you, it is life changing. They become sweet and crunchy and taste good on top of just about anything from smoothies to yogurt bowls to vegetables! If you’ve never toasted mulberries before, definitely give it a try!
I’m so excited to be sharing this super seasonal recipe with you all. Let me know in the comments below or by tagging me on Instagram if you try it out!
- 1 cup sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- ½ cup parsnips, cubed
- ½ cup carrots, cubed
- ¼ cup mulberries
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for roasted the vegetables
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 2 tsp prepared horseradish (I got mine at Trader Joes)
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the cubed vegetables on a large baking tray and cover with a generous drizzle of olive oil and sea salt. Toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until tender and browned.
- While the vegetables roast, heat a small frying pan over medium-low heat and add the mulberries. Toast for about 5 minutes ,or until browned, stirring often to prevent burning. Once the mulberries are toasted let them cool completely to get crunchy.
- Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, vinegar, horseradish, garlic, and salt together in a small bowl.
- When the vegetables are done roasting, toss them in a large mixing bowl with a few tbsp of the dressing and the toasted mulberries. Serve with an extra drizzle of dressing and sprinkle of toasted mulberries.