A flavor-filled, moist, and cakey pumpkin loaf that you would never guess is healthy!
Paleo. Pumpkin. Bread. Need I say more? I’ve always been a huge fan of sweet breads (like my Banana Zucchini Walnut Bread, one of the most popular recipes on my site,) and this fall spiced pumpkin edition is my new favorite. I tested this recipe a few times before nailing it, and when I took the final product out of the oven I was so excited. It really hits every mark! The loaf looks as good as it tastes and the texture and flavor are spot on! I’ve had several people try this recipe and not a single person has guessed that it was remotely healthy, much less grain free and low in natural sugar!
When fall and winter come around, all I want to do is bake. I spend all of October and November adding pumpkin spice to anything and everything and by the time December rolls around I’m deep in gingerbread and peppermint mode.
Because of this, I’ve tried several recipes for sweet breads that use whole food ingredients. While most of them taste decent, none of them have that perfectly light and cakey texture that can be so hard to achieve when it comes to gluten or grain free baking. This encouraged me to create my own recipe, and I must say it’s the best I’ve tried!
When I have people taste test my recipes, particularly sweets, I rarely tell them they are healthy because I hope for them to be as good as any sweet they’ve ever had. I used that strategy when having people sample this pumpkin bread, and no one suspected it was even remotely healthy. So whether you’re gluten free, grain free, or none of the above, this pumpkin bread is a winner!
This bread is made with almond and coconut flour, which together give it the cakey texture that I’m so obsessed with. It’s flavored with pumpkin puree which makes it super moist, and of course has lots of pumpkin pie spice for the most delicious fall flavor. It’s sweetened with just 1/3 cup maple syrup, making it relatively low in natural sugars, so it’s a great option for breakfast or a snack!
I am so excited to be sharing this recipe! It’s definitely one of my favorites to date. Let me know in the comments below or by tagging me on Instagram if you try it out!
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp almond flour
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature*
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- optional: pumpkin seeds to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan. I like to grease it with coconut oil, then place a piece of parchment paper so it extends up the two long sides so the loaf is easy to remove.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, almond butter, coconut oil, pumpkin puree, and maple syrup together in a separate bowl until well combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry mixture and fold together with a spoon until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepare loaf pan and top with pumpkin seeds if desired.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove and let cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 weeks of the freezer for a few months!