A healthy take on crispy taquitos made with grain free tortillas and salsa verde chicken that make for the most delicious meal!
Let’s talk taquitos. I see endless tacos and quesadillas both on my Instagram feed and on restaurant menus daily, but why is no one talking about taquitos? Probably because they’re usually thought of as being deep fried and non-nutritious. It’s easy to throw some kale or cashew cheese on a taco and call it healthy, but taquitos are a little trickier. Rest your worries aside, THESE are a healthier take on taquitos that are so good, you’ll never want to eat another deep fried taquito again!
If you’re looking for a meal to make for friends or family that doesn’t feel overly healthy, make these! I recently made them for 5 of my family members and they were a HUGE hit! Everyone agreed they were some of the best taquitos they had every tried.
There are a few things that make these taquitos so incredible. First, the tortillas. I use Siete Foods tortillas, which are grain free and have the most amazing flavor and texture. They crisp up extremely well, providing the satisfying crunch that most “healthy” taquitos lack. You can order these online, or check the store locater on their website to see where you can find them near you!
Next, the filling. Tossing shredded chicken with green salsa makes it incredibly tender and juicy. The contrast between the crispy tortilla outside with the soft, flavor packed filling is to die for.
Lastly, frying these in coconut oil gives them the perfect crunch! Coconut oil is a high heat oil so it’s great for lightly frying the taquitos in a pan. There is no lingering coconut flavor, just a deliciously crispy shell. Coconut oil is one of my favorite oils to cook with for nutritional reasons as well. It’s high in easily digestible MCTs which are converted to energy instead of fat, and helps promote healthy cholesterol.
The flavor in these taquitos comes from green salsa, cumin, and lime. When mixed with the chicken, these ingredients create a seriously delicious filling that really make the taquitos stand out from those you would typically find at a restaurant. My favorite green salsa is the Salsa Verde from Trader Joes–it’s amazing!
Whip up some guacamole and invite some friends over because these taquitos make for quite the crowd pleasing meal. I am so excited to share this recipe and can’t wait to hear what you think! Comment below or tag me on Instagram if you try them out!
- 3 organic chicken cutlets (or 2 large breasts)
- 6 tortillas (I use Siete Foods grain free tortillas–see post for link)
- 3 tbsp green salsa (see post for recommendation)
- lime juice, from ¼ of 1 lime
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sea salt
- coconut oil, for cooking
- optional: cilantro, extra green salsa, and guacamole to serve
- Begin by poaching the chicken. Trim the cutlets or breasts as desired and place them in a large sauce pan. Cover with two inches of water and a few dashes of salt, then place over high heat to bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 8-15 minutes (depends on thickness of breast,) until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, shred with two forks and place in a mixing bowl with the green salsa, lime juice, cumin, and sea salt. Mix everything together until well combined. Set aside next to a large cutting board.
- Place a large frying pan just above medium heat and coat the bottom with coconut oil. Once the pan is heated, place the tortilla in pan for a few seconds, flip, and then transfer to a cutting board. This will help soften the tortilla so it can easily roll. Place a line of the chicken mixture in the first third of the tortilla, then roll the tortilla away from you and set aside, seam side down. Repeat until 6 taquitos are formed.
- Lightly coat the bottom of the pan in coconut oil again, then place each taquito in the pan, seam side down and let fry until brown, about 4 minutes. Continue flipping each taquito every 4-5 minutes until each side is browned and the whole taquito is crispy. Remove from pan and serve immediately!