Tender salmon and vegetables glazed in a miso sesame sauce that makes for the most delicious, nutrient packed bowl!
Salmon and veggies are practically two major food groups to me, so I eat them constantly. While both are delicious on their own, switching up the flavor with an easy to make, flavor packed miso sesame sauce is a serious game changer!
This bowl is filled with Asian-inspired flavors coming from miso paste, sesame oil, and tamari, which together add so much flavor to each of the ingredients. With the subtle sweetness of the sweet potatoes, creaminess of the avocado, freshness of the greens and cabbage, and saltiness of the sauce, this meal hits every mark! It’s a seriously amazing combination.
The colors of the bowl alone are a reason to make it! Including several different colors in a meal is a great way to ensure you’re getting an array of nutrients. For example, the cabbage gets it’s deep purple color from anthocyanins, natural pigments that act as antioxidants, while sweet potatoes are orange due to beta-carotene, which is great for healthy skin and eyes.
Not only does salmon taste delicious, but it’s a great source of protein and omega 3’s. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential to a healthy diet, but the majority of people don’t get enough of them. They promote good skin and strong bones, help fight inflammation, and lower the risk of heart disease.
When building bowls, I like to fill them with an array of flavors, textures, and macronutrients. This meal has a great balance of protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats, that will leave you feeling super satisfied. Healthy fats are such a key component of any meal. They slow digestion, helping to keep you satiated and preventing spikes in blood sugar. This means you’ll be fueled and energized for a longer period of time after eating.
The beauty in this recipe is in it’s simplicity, but this doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor! The same sauce is used as a dressing for the cabbage and the glaze for the veggies and salmon. When finished, everything looks beautiful and is packed with flavor, but it’s super easy to throw together!
I’m so excited to hear what you think of this recipe. Remember to tag me on Instagram or comment below if you try it out!
- 2 4-6 oz salmon filets
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups sweet potato, cubed
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ - 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- optional: chopped scallions and sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Make the sauce by mixing together the sesame oil, tamari, lemon, ginger, miso, and sesame seeds.
- Toss the cubed sweet potato and broccoli florets in two separate bowls with the sauce until well coated. Place the sweet potato on a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping once halfway through. When 20 minutes remain, add the broccoli and let the veggies finish cooking together.
- Toss the shredded cabbage with a few spoonfuls of sauce and let sit in the fridge while the veggies cook.
- When the veggies are almost done, place the salmon on a foil lined baking sheet and spoon the sauce over the top until well coated.
- When you take the veggies out, turn the oven to broil and let it heat for a few minutes, then place the salmon in to broil for 7-8 minutes. After 5 minutes, cover the salmon with a piece of foil to prevent the top from burning.
- Divide the greens between two bowls and drizzle with a little of the remaining sauce, then top with the roasted veggies, cabbage, broiled salmon, and sliced avocado. Garnish with scallions and more sesame seeds if desired and enjoy!