Mint chocolate chip shake for breakfast? Yes please. Being the chocolate fiend I am, I seem to always be adding cacao powder to my smoothies. When I was younger, mint chocolate chip ice cream was always my favorite flavor, so I decided to bring the killer chocolate and mint combo to the smoothie world. When I first made it, I drank it every day for a week, and after getting my family to try it, I was making it daily for them too!
This shake is thick, creamy, and subtly sweet with an amazing minty flavor provided by fresh mint leaves. It’s a great, balanced meal, filled with protein from hemp powder, healthy fats from avocado to keep you satisfied all morning, and lots of nutritional goodness from all the greens! It’s also great post workout to replenish your muscles with lots of nutrients.
The maca powder adds an amazing malty flavor and is great for energy, but if you don’t have it, it can easily be left out and the shake will still be delicious! If you don’t have hemp powder, try replacing it with either hemp seeds, or a protein powder of your choice, just note it may change the taste a little bit. I tend to like things on the not too sweet side, but if you’re looking for something sweeter try adding an extra date or replacing the frozen zucchini with more frozen banana. Either way, I hope you enjoy this awesome shake as much as I do!
- 1 handful spinach
- 2 handfuls of kale
- ½ -1 banana, chopped and frozen (1/2 for less sweet, 1 for a bit sweeter)
- ½ cup zucchini or cauliflower, steamed and frozen
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- ¼ avocado, fresh or frozen
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2-3 tbsp hemp powder
- 1 tsp maca
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- Add all the ingredients except the cacao nibs to a high speed blender and blend until smooth, scraping the sides as necessary.
- Once blended, add the cacao nibs and blend for another 10 seconds.
- Top with extra cacao nibs, fresh mint, and enjoy!
Pin this recipe by scrolling over the photo below!