Tacos filled with cumin lime grilled chicken, crispy shredded brussels sprouts, and a delicious cashew crema, ready in under 30 minutes!
Within the past month, I’ve become a little obsessed with tacos. I crave them ALL the time. It’s probably because I tried Siete Foods tortillas for the first time (cassava & chia and almond flour are my favorites) which are grain free and have the best flavor and texture. My go to meals are usually bowls filled with protein, vegetables, and fats, but tacos are such a nice change! These tacos are my favorite because they’re packed with flavor and super satisfying, and they even have a serving of veggies!
Lately, I’ve been cooking my own chicken more often. I buy organic breasts or cutlets and after cleaning them a bit, I add whatever spices or marinades I’m in the mood for, then I grill it over medium heat in a grill pain for about 6 minutes on each side. It’s so easy and a great source of protein that I love keeping on hand for the week (see more about my weekly meal prep here.)
These tacos hit every mark flavor and texture wise. The chicken has so much flavor from the cumin and lime, and the brown and crispy brussels sprouts add such a nice charred flavor. The cashew crema adds the perfect creaminess and is slightly tangy. I love topping my tacos with some avocado chunks (because everything is better with avocado,) cilantro for freshness, and some green salsa for a kick!
I hope you love these simple tacos as much as I do, and please let me know if you try them out by commenting below or tagging me on Instagram!
- For the tacos:
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 2 cups brussels sprouts
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- 4 tortillas (I love the brand Siete Foods)
- For the cashew crema:
- ½ cup soaked cashews (soaked in water for at least 4 hours)
- 5 tbsp water
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 garlic cloves or ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Optional garnishes: avocado, cilantro, green salsa, lime
- To make the cashew crema, add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. (I find a small one works best. If you only have a larger one, you can always double the recipe and save leftovers.) Taste to make sure it has enough salt, spices, and lime, and adjust if desired.
- Clean the chicken if needed, then place the breasts in a dish with the lime juice, avocado oil, cumin, garlic, and a generous dash of salt and pepper. Flip the breasts a few times to ensure they are coated in oil and spices.
- Chop the end off of and thinly slice each brussels sprout.
- Preheat a grill pan slightly below medium. Once the pan is heated, add each chicken breast, positioning the thickest part near the center of the pan, and cook for 12 minutes, flipping once halfway through. When the chicken is done cooking, transfer the breasts to a cutting board and let sit for a few minutes before slicing.
- Once you flip the chicken, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat with 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Add the sliced sprouts with salt, pepper, and another drizzle of oil if necessary. Make sure each sprout is touching the pan so it can brown, and leave to cook for a few minutes. Sauté every few minutes until brown and crispy.
- Place the tortillas in a small pan over low heat until they're soft and hot. Assemble the tacos with sliced grilled chicken, a few spoonfuls of crispy brussels, and a few dollops of cashew crema. Garnish with avocado, cilantro, green salsa, and lime if desired and enjoy!