An easy to make grain free pizza crust topped with juicy figs, arugula, almond milk ricotta, and a sweet balsamic drizzle to make all of your summer pizza dreams come true!
I tried Simple Mills Pizza Crust for the first time a few months ago and I was amazed by the texture and flavor. It’s hard to believe that a vegan and grain free pizza crust could taste so good and actually stay together! Ever since trying it I’ve been waiting for figs to be in season so I could create a fig pizza to emulate one my family used to eat all the time from a restaurant that is now closed. This pizza satisfies all my cravings and is the best combination between a light meal, and an extremely satisfying and nutrient dense meal.
Note that I cook the pizza crust for longer than is suggested on the box instructions. I find the pizza needs the extra time in order for the crust to get crispy, but every oven is different, so check the pizzas towards the end of the cooking time and take them out early if they feel done, or leave them in longer if the crust still feels very soft. The crust will get harder after being removed from the oven and cooling slightly, so don’t worry if it feels a little soft coming out of the oven.
The sweet figs pair so well with the garlic and oregano crust, peppery arugula, and creamy almond milk ricotta. Finished with a reduced balsamic drizzle, this pizza is bursting with flavor. For the ricotta, I use Kite Hill Foods Almond Milk Ricotta. It is sold at Whole Foods and several other stores, but if you can’t find it, you can substitute it with any other nut cheese or regular ricotta as well! It will be delicious either way.
Because this pizza is vegan and grain free, it’s may seem like a much lighter alternative to regular pizza, but with a nutrient dense almond flour crust that is much higher in protein and healthy fats than typical pizza, it is still so satisfying! This mix makes two 8 inch crusts, which is perfect to serve 2-4 people.
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys! It’s a great quick meal to make for a summer night that is sure to please everyone! Comment below or tag me on Instagram if you decide to try it out!
- 1 box simple mills pizza crust
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fresh figs
- 4 cups arugula
- ¾ cup almond milk ricotta (I use the brand Kite Hill)
- 1½ cups balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Begin by reducing the balsamic. Place the balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce to a simmer and let it simmer until thick, about 10-15 minutes. When it reaches a syrup like consistency, set aside in a small bowl.
- Combine the minced garlic and the olive oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Use the pizza crust mix to make dough according to the directions on the box. Split the dough in half and form two 8 inch pizzas on a baking sheet coated in olive oil. The pizzas should have relatively thin crust.
- Bake the crusts for 6 minutes without the toppings.
- After the crusts are partially cooked, take them out of the oven and brush with the minced garlic and olive oil until coated. Then add the arugula, figs, and ricotta and return to the oven to bake for another 15-20 minutes, until the crust feels firm and the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven, drizzle the reduced balsamic over each, and cut the pizzas into quarters. Let them sit for 3 minutes to ensure the crust is set and enjoy!