I’ve always been picky about chocolate chip cookies, but a really good one is one of my favorite treats. After trying countless recipes for cookies that used natural ingredients, none of them tasted quite right and always left me a little unsatisfied… until these. THESE cookies are paleo, gluten free, vegan, and completely indulgent and delicious! They aren’t dry or mealy like many “healthy” cookies, and the flavor is incredible. With slightly crisp edges, soft chewy middles, and oozing chunks of the best dark chocolate, these cookies have easily become my favorite thing to make, and easily my favorite recipe on my website thus far!
I’m not kidding when I say these are some of the best cookies I’ve ever had. They’ve been tested by my family and friends, and no one believes me when I tell them they are made with completely real and nourishing ingredients. The base is almond flour and arrowroot flour, which together form a perfectly rich but not too dense texture. Almond butter and coconut oil keep the cookies moist and buttery, and coconut sugar adds a delicious caramel flavor and chewy texture, similar to brown sugar.
Aside from their incredible taste, these cookies also boast some amazing health benefits! They’re low in sugar and grain free, meaning they won’t spike your blood glucose levels, and with healthy fats from coconut oil and almonds, they make the perfect snack.
The BEST part about these cookies is easily the dark chocolate chunks. Believe me when I say using them does make a huge difference from using normal chocolate chips. My absolute favorite dark chocolate to use is this one from Eating Evolved. You can use the code “CAROLINETMT” at checkout on the Eating Evolved website to receive a free surprise chocolate with your order! The chocolate is rich and has the most delicious deep cacao flavor, which is perfectly balanced by the slight sweetness of coconut sugar. Lastly the cookies are topped with flaky sea salt, which contrasts so well with the sweetness. All in all, you need these cookies in your life, so go make them now!
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup almond butter (natural works best, without any added sugars or oils)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bar eatingEVOLVED Signature Dark Chocolate (or about 2.5 oz dark chocolate)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Begin by making the flax eggs. Combine the ground flax seed with the water in a glass or small bowl and let sit for at least five minutes to thicken.
- Next melt the coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove and set aside. It needs time to cool while melted so it doesn't solidify when combined with the other ingredients.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking soda, and salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Whisk together the coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, almond butter, flax eggs, and vanilla in another mixing bowl, then add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix together until well combined.
- Roughly chop or break the dark chocolate into chunks, and mix them into the dough.
- Use a small scoop to place 12 cookies on each baking sheet. They will spread, so make sure there is about 2 inches between each cookie. Bake for 12-14 minutes. When the cookies are done, let them cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to cooling racks to let them cool completely.
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.