This breakfast has been one of my staples lately. I’ve become obsessed with adding zucchini to my oats, because it adds more volume, gives them a great texture, and adds a serving of veggies to breakfast, which is always a plus.Oats make for the perfect breakfast, because they contain protein, fiber, and complex carbohydrates that release slowly, keeping you full and energized for hours. Adding cinnamon is great, because it slows the digestion of carbohydrates, helping to regulate blood sugar levels and prevent a spike in glucose in the blood stream. This will all help you maintain steady energy levels throughout the morning.
The warmth and spice from the cinnamon give the oats such a great flavor that tastes amazing in the morning. I love topping this with a heaping spoonful of almond butter and berries, but feel free to add whatever you like! Sliced banana, toasted nuts and seeds, or a drizzle of maple syrup would all be equally delicious.
- ½ cup oats
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup almond milk
- optional toppings: fresh fruit, nut butter, granola, favorite superfoods, etc.
- Grate about ½ of the zucchini using the coarse side of a box grater and add this to a medium saucepan with the oats.
- Cover the oat and zucchini mixture in just enough boiling water to ensure everything is soaked, and let it sit covered for approximately 10 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Once the oats are well soaked and no water remains, add the cinnamon and almond milk to the saucepan and turn the heat on medium-low. Stir well to combine.
- Let the oats warm up and absorb the almond milk, while continuing to stir every 30 seconds or so.
- Cook until desired consistency, about 1-2 minutes for creamier oats, and 3 minutes for a thicker texture.
- Once heated and cooked through, place the zucchini oats in a bowl, add desired toppings, and enjoy!
Pin this recipe by scrolling over the photo below!