I’ve always loved granola. It adds the best flavor and crunch to smoothie bowls, coconut yogurt, and even is great as a snack by the handful or served with cold almond milk and berries. I’ve tried endlessly to create a granola recipe that tastes incredible and clumps together (the best part), and after several failed attempts, I finally got it. Coming from someone who has eaten A LOT of granola, this one is my absolute favorite.
Delicious flavor is of course important, but fairly easy to achieve. When combining silky coconut oil, sweet maple syrup, oats, and nuts, it’s pretty hard for it not to be delicious. However, getting it to clump is a SERIOUS challenge, and one that I was determined to overcome. Who doesn’t love the big chunks at the top of a bag of fresh granola? The trick to getting this granola to clump is to pack it closely together to bake, then not to stir it while it bakes, and finally let is cool completely before breaking it into chunks. This process and the combination of ingredients yields big, chunky, nutty clusters of goodness that I promise you’ll be eating by the handful.
Granola is one of those foods that everyone thinks is healthy, but store bought versions rarely ever are. They’re often loaded with sugar, refined oils, and additives that spike your blood sugar and insulin levels, but ultimately result in a crash meaning the granola does not sustain or energize you. This recipe is lightly sweetened with antioxidant rich maple syrup, and has amazing healthy fats from coconut oil and almonds that will help your body digest the natural sugar slowly, allowing your blood to regulate its glucose levels.
Aside from being incredibly nutritious, this granola is also just really really delicious. You’ll want to sprinkle it on everything, or if your like me, simply eat it by the handful! It has hints of cinnamon and vanilla and a great saltiness that pairs so well with the nuttiness of the almonds and the maple flavor. It tastes good with just about anything! However you choose to enjoy it, this granola is a super tasty and nourishing way to start your day, and I can’t wait for you to try this recipe and see your favorite ways to eat it!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup almond meal
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup raw buckwheat
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl until combined.
- Heat the coconut butter and oil over low heat in a small saucepan just until melted. Then, remove from heat and whisk in the maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is evenly coated.
- Place the mixture onto the lined baking sheet, making sure it is well packed together, but not too thick. It should form one single even layer.
- Bake the granola for 25 minutes, then take it out of the oven and let cool completely, at least 20 minutes.
- Using a spatula or your hands, break the granola into large chunks.