Who doesn’t love donuts? These Chocolate Peppermint Donuts are cakey, slightly sweet, and so easy to make it’s almost dangerous! Except they’re made with 100% natural ingredients and are insanely delicious so there is really no reason not to make them, so let’s get baking! These donuts are made using the Chocolate Muffin and Cake Mix from one of my absolute favorite brands, Simple Mills. I love this mix because it has the best rich, chocolatey flavor that pairs perfectly with peppermint, and it makes healthy baking a breeze! If you have never tried Simple Mills products, you must.
These donuts really could not be easier to throw together. The donuts are made simply by mixing the Simple Mills Chocolate Muffin and Cake Mix with four other ingredients, and then they’re ready to bake! The glaze on top is made with just four ingredients as well, and I love drizzling some extra melted coconut butter and coconut oil with peppermint extract on top to make these donuts gorgeous and give them an extra spike of peppermint. Despite being made with amazing ingredients, these donuts do not taste healthy in the slightest, and will surely satisfy any sweet cravings!
The donuts are grain free, with just almond flour and arrowroot flour as the base, making these paleo and gluten free. The donuts are sweetened with coconut sugar which is a great alternative to refined white sugar as it is unrefined, non GMO, and is low glycemic so it will not spike insulin levels like normal white sugar. The glaze on top adds a boost of healthy fats from coconut oil, and lots of antioxidants from the raw cacao. These donuts make the most delicious treat and they taste as good as they will make you feel! I hope you love this recipe and cannot wait to hear what you think. Comment below or tag me on Instagram if you try it out!
- For the Donuts:
- 1 box Simple Mills Chocolate Muffin and Cake Mix
- 3 flax eggs (3 tbsp ground flaxseed + 9 tbsp water)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup water
- 1½ tsp peppermint extract
- For the Glaze:
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the Drizzle (optional):
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- Grease a donut tin with coconut oil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the flax eggs by mixing the 3 tbsp of ground flaxseed in a small bowl or glass with the 9 tbsp water and let sit for five minutes to thicken.
- Add the melted coconut oil, flax mixture, peppermint extract, and water in a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add the Simple Mills Chocolate Muffin and Cake Mix to the bowl and whisk until everything is combined with no lumps.
- Add the batter to a large ziplock and cut a small tip off of one of the corners, then squeeze the batter into each donut ring until about ⅔ full.
- Bake the donuts for 25 minutes, then take out and let the donuts cool completely in the pan. This is extremely important because they continue to set while cooling.
- While the donuts cool, make the glaze by combining all of the ingredients in a medium glass bowl and placing it over a small pot of boiling water, allowing the ingredients to melt.
- Whisk the mixture together until everything is completely melted and combined, then place the bowl in the fridge for about 10 minutes to thicken.
- When the donuts are cooled and the glaze is slightly thickened, dip each donut into the glaze and place on a cooling rack over a parchment lined baking sheet. Put the donuts in the fridge to set.
- If making the white drizzle, simply place the coconut butter and oil in a small sauce pan over low heat. Once everything is melted, transfer the mixture to a small bowl,stir in the peppermint extract, and set in the fridge to thicken for at least 5 minutes.
- Lastly take the donuts out of the fridge and drizzle the coconut butter mixture over the top, then return them to the fridge to finish setting.
If you don't have a donut pan, these can be made as cupcakes as well, and will be just as delicious!