What is more comforting than a hot bowl of hearty stew? This is the best meal for a cold day, as it has so much goodness but tastes incredibly comforting! Warming spices combine with juicy tomatoes and creamy coconut milk to make the most delicious base for tender veggies and chickpeas. This stew is so good that when I first made it, I had it for dinner four days in a row. It’s simple to make and even easier to reheat so if you’re busy and have no time to cook, make this in 30 minutes on the weekend and you’ll have five servings of a super yummy and nourishing meal ready to go!
I created this stew with the goal of combining incredible taste with really fabulous health benefits, and I promise it wins in both categories. The flavor comes from anti-inflammatory spices turmeric and cinnamon, and cayenne which is great for a healthy gut. Crushed tomatoes combined with coconut milk gives this stew a rich silky texture with plenty of healthy fats that are great for your metabolism. Butternut squash adds a delicious sweetness and a dose of complex carbohydrates which makes this a super satisfying meal. Spinach and zucchini add extra green goodness and pair so well with the flavors of this stew, and finally chickpeas make this stew high in protein and fiber.
One of the best things about this stew is that it could not be easier to make! It’s as simple as putting everything in a pot and letting it simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Its delicious on its own, but it is great served with quinoa or brown rice as well for something a little heartier. I love having big batches of this on hand in the refrigerator or freezer, because it’s so easy to warm up for a meal in less than 10 minutes! I can’t wait to hear what you guys think, and please let me know if you try it out in the comments or on Instagram!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3½ cups butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups zucchini, chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 4 cups spinach
- Begin by cubing the butternut squash and zucchini and draining and rinsing the chickpeas.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat, then add the turmeric, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, garlic, and tomato paste, stirring frequently to ensure nothing burns.
- Once the mixture is bubbling and fragrant, add the remaining ingredients, and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes, until the squash can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Serve hot in bowls or over brown rice or quinoa and enjoy!