If you follow me on Instagram, you know that warm cauliflower rice bowls have been my favorite thing lately. They’re super quick and easy to throw together and the combinations are endless. This one with flavorful sundried tomato pesto, chunks of squash, and arugula is one of my favorites! I always roast lots of veggies on the weekend to have for the week, which makes this meal even easier. Also, you can make a big batch of the pesto ahead of time and freeze it in small containers to defrost whenever! This pesto is delicious and so versatile. It’s awesome as a dip for veggies or crackers, or try stirring it into quinoa or brown rice for extra flavor. I’m obsessed with vegan Brazil Nut Parmesan, which is incredible sprinkled over this meal, but it is totally optional so don’t worry if you don’t have the ingredients on hand, it will be awesome either way!
This bowl is hearty and filling, but packed with veggies, healthy fats, protein, and fiber, so it will leave you feeling energized rather than stuffed. Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable like broccoli or brussels sprouts, meaning it is rich in vitamins, minerals, and high in fiber. Chickpeas are a great source of protein, and like cauliflower rice they require little work and taste great with so many things. The roasted squash adds an amazing sweetness to this dish, and also adds complex carbohydrates, which your body needs for energy. Healthy fats come from the walnuts and olive oil in the pesto which are extremely nourishing for your skin, hair, nails, and also great for your metabolism.
One of the best things about this recipe is it’s super adaptable. If you’re missing any of the ingredients, you can easily swap it for whatever you have on hand or prefer. Try swapping the chickpeas for another protein of your choice, or the arugula for spinach or kale for something different! The pesto is what really makes this bowl so insanely yummy, and the slightly tangy flavor of the sundried tomatoes contrasts so well with the sweetness of the roasted squash. Sprinkling everything generously with Brazil Nut Parmesan really makes this dish (or any dish for that matter) so I highly recommend trying it if you never have before! It adds crunch and a garlicky flavor that I absolutely love. I can’t wait for you to try this Cauliflower Rice Bowl out, and as always leave a message in the comments or tag me on Instagram if you do!
- For the pesto:
- ½ cup walnuts
- 3 cups basil, packed
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes
- pinch of black pepper
- For the bowl:
- 2½ cups cauliflower rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup pesto (plus more to taste)
- 1½ cups squash, cut into 1 inch cubes (I used Butternut, but Delicata or Acorn would be great as well)
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 4 large handfuls arugula
- For the Brazil Nut Parmesan:
- ½ cup Brazil nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the squash on a baking sheet with 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast the squash in the oven until tender, about 30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Make the Brazil nut parmesan by pulsing all the ingredients in a food processor until it forms a crumbly mixture.
- Make the pesto by combining all the ingredients in a food processor. Add more olive oil to make thinner, walnuts and basil to make thicker, and salt to taste if necessary.
- Begin making the cauliflower rice by placing a large sauté pan over medium heat with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Once the pan is heated, add the cauliflower rice and sauté until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and the pesto and continue sautéing. When everything is warmed through add the arugula and squash and continue cooking until everything is combined and the arugula is wilted.
- Serve hot in bowls with Brazil Nut Parmesan sprinkled on top and enjoy!
Save the Brazil Nut Parmesan to sprinkle on anything and everything in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.