A super tasty grain-free loaf lightly sweetened with banana and filled with zucchini and crunchy walnuts!
Half zucchini bread, half banana bread, 100% delicious. This loaf instantly became a hit in my house! It’s grain free, yet still incredibly moist and cakey. The combination of almond and coconut flours keeps it light and fluffy, rather then dense or dry like many “healthy” breads.
This bread is definitely the result of some trial and error. Paleo baking can be tricky, because grain-free flours can often result in an overly dense consistency. The first couple of times I tested this recipe, it was either too gummy, or heavy and dry.
I had a few taste testers tell me the first attempts were pretty good for a “healthy bread”–aka not very good–so the testing continued. My goal for every recipe, especially for baking or desserts, is to make it taste delicious and indulgent, just made with wholesome, real ingredients.
Eventually, with the right ratios of flours, a little less oil, and an extra egg, the bread rose beautifully and the flavor was perfect!
The flavor of this bread is amazing. It’s lightly sweet from the banana and a touch of maple syrup, nutty from the walnuts, and has warming hints of cinnamon. Zucchini adds great texture and a dose of fiber.
I love having a slice of two of this for breakfast with some almond milk yogurt and nut butter. With almond flour and coconut flour as the base, each slice has protein and fats to help keep you satiated. This also helps slow the digestion of the minimal sugar in each slice, meaning no blood sugar spike even though it tastes like dessert for breakfast! Speaking of, a slice of this is an awesome dessert as well.
If you’re looking for a delicious way to satisfy your banana or zucchini bread cravings, this recipe is for you! Go make this loaf for a kitchen that smells amazing, a ready to go breakfast or snack, and guaranteed happiness! Remember to tag me on Instagram or comment below if you try it out!
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 banana, preferably spotty and ripe
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, with the moisture squeezed out*
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or coat it with coconut oil. I find its easiest to coat it with a little oil then place the parchment paper in so it sticks.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mash the banana in a mixing bowl, then add all the other wet ingredients and whisk to combine well. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature and the coconut oil is cooled, otherwise the coconut oil will harden.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well combined. Add the zucchini and walnuts and stir again.
- Transfer the batter to the lined/oiled loaf tin and bake for 35-45 minutes, until golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. After a few minutes, remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool completely on a cooling rack.